WHAT IS MILLET REVOLUTION?
India is a well-known bulk producer of varieties of Millets. However, over the last six decades, there has been a noticeable reduction in the area under millet production in India after the green revolution. A substantial area under millet cultivation was shifted to other crops like rice and wheat, and this has been a sensational and a remarkable loss to India’s food and farming systems. As per our Prime Minister Narendra Modi India needs to work on the Millets Revolution in order to ensure a nutritious diet and good health. The Government Of India has approved 2018 as ‘The National Year Of Millets’ to boost production of the nutrient-rich millets and the Agro-Industries involved in its production.
DEFINITION OF MILLET :
Millets are a group of highly variable small-seeded grasses, widely grown around the world as cereal crops or grains for fodder and human food.
There are about 6,000 varieties of millet throughout the world, and since they are not fussy about soil and water, they are a major source of energy and protein for more than a billion people in arid and semi-arid regions. Unlike our over-cultivated wheat-rice-corn which need a whole lot more pampering to survive.
Think Jolada roti, ragi mudde, bajra khichidi, nachni dosa, thinai pongal – sound familiar? These are all food that we’ve heard of and perhaps grown up on. Yet millets, like many traditional foods have been sorely neglected. Pity! Because they are highly nutritious, non-glutinous and non acid forming grains. Properties which make them soothing and easy to digest. In fact it is a food often cooked during fasting in India. Plus they are super versatile so you can go all out and make a huge variety of delicious dishes with them.
TYPES OF MILLET
If I Talk About Type Of Millet There Are Several Like Pearl Millet, Finger Millet , Sorghum Millet , Brown Millet Foxtail Millet, Kodo Millet, Little Millet , Barnyard Millet, Proso Millet. ·
- Finger Millet : Finger Millet Are Good Source Of Vitamin A And Good Source Of Protein. ·
- Ragi Millet : It’s Good For Digestion ,As Well As Fiber Protein Also , Boost Immunity. ·
- Brown Millet : Its Gluten Free And Rich In Nutrition. ·
- Foxtail Millet Is Rich In Dietary Fibre, Protein, Healthy Micros (Vitamin And Minerals) And Low In Fat. ·
- Kodo Millet Is A Highly Nutritious Grain And An Excellent Substitute To Rice And Wheat. ·
- Little Millet Contains Magnesium Which Can Helps Improve Heart Health. Vitamin B3 (Niacin) In Little Millet Helps Lower Cholesterol. ·
- Barnyard Millet : It Help In Phosphorus ,Calcium Fiber. ·
- Proso Millet : It Help In Prevent Cancer , Balance Diabetes , Rich In Antioxidant.